Step 1:

I’m going to be looking into the “science” of lighting and I will be looking into the subject terminology. I want to research this because I want to be able to use the correct terminology when referencing to lighting also it will expand my knowledge as a whole.

Step 2:

I am using the internet to find my information because the availability of primary research would be difficult to in out the information needed. I have found a website containing information about the terminology about lighting in film and television.

Step 3:

There are many trustworthy and untrustworthy sources on the internet such as Wikipedia because people around the world are able to edit the information and make it incorrect and misleading. so searching through a selection of resources I found a seemingly reliable source:

Lighting terminology (no date) Available at: (Accessed: 26 September 2016).

This website gave me a large amount of information, I was looking at the website and it referred to different lighting examples and explained what they are and what they do offering a good amount of information without giving false information I presume. the reason I think this site is reliable is because it is an actual media college site showing that this is what this site is all about and  a good source to use in my eyes.

Step 4:

This is the information I found out:

Ambient light: The light already present in a scene, no lighting has been added.

Incident light: Lighting a scene directly from a source.

Reflected light: Light being bounced off a surface

Colour Temperature: A standard of measuring the characteristics of light, measured in kelvins

Contrast Radio: The difference n brightness between the brightest white and the darkest black.

Key light: The main light on the subject, providing  the main lighting and contrast

Fill light: A light placed to the side of a subject to fill out shadows and balance the key light.

Back light: A light laced to at the rear to light from behind.

Hard light: Light directly from a source such as the sun travelling undisturbed onto the subject being lit

Soft light: Light which appears to “wrap around” the subject to some degree, it can produce less or softer shadows.

Spot: A controlled narrow focused  beam of light.

Flood: A broad beam of light less directional than a spot.

Tungsten: Light from an ordinary light bulb

Halogen: Type of lamp that has tungsten in it and halogen gas

Fresnel: A light which has a lens with circular ridges on its outside edges, the les is used to focus a the light beam.

Incandescent: Incandescent lamps produce hear from a wire filament until it glows. The glow is caused by a filaments resistance to the current is called incandescence


Lighting terminology (no date) Available at: (Accessed: 17 October 2016).